Petitgrain essential oil is extracted from citrus aurantium var. amara. In simpler terms, petitgrain essential oil is extracted form the leaves and twigs of the orange tree by the process of steam distillation.
The physical petitgarin oil properties resemble that of other citrus oil to some extent. Petitgrain essential oil is a clear oil which has a floral and at the same time, woody odor. It is pale yellow to amber in color. It is non-toxic, and non-sensitizing.
Health Benefits Of Petitgrain Oil
Petitgrain oil has immense health benefits. Some of the petitgrain oil uses are as follows:
- Petitgrain essential oil is widely used in skin care products. It can directly be applied on the skin to cure skin problems including acne, pimples, and blemishes. It serves to clear and tone the skin on account of its anti-bacterial properties. It is a boon for oily or greasy skin as it helps neutralize the oil secreted by the sebum glands on the skin.
- It is a potent relaxant and laxative. It eases rapid pulse rate by relaxing your nerves, thereby soothing your body as well as mind. It also helps relieve sleeplessness or insomnia. It reduces stress and anxiety.
- It helps in enhancing concentration and memory, thereby benefiting the intellectual part of your brain. In other words, it is a tonic for the mind.
- Petitgrain essential oil tones your digestive system and prevents digestive ailments, including stomach ache and indigestion. It also regulates the bowel movements, thereby preventing constipation.
- Petitgrain essential oil also helps combat respiratory infections.
- Petitgrain essential oil is a potent antiseptic and combats microbial infections. It boosts your immune system.
- Petitgrain essential oil has a very pleasant as well as strong aroma. As such, it can also be used as a deodorant to mask body odor.
- Petitgrain essential oil is antispasmodic in action. It prevents spasms of the respiratory, digestive, and circulatory systems.
- Petitgrain essential oil also reduces fatigue and tiredness by stimulating the physiological systems of the body.
- It is anti-inflammatory in action and combats inflammatory ailments like bronchitis.
Petitgrain essential oil can be used as an infusion, or it can be mixed with bath water. It can also be mixed with a cream or lotion. However, though petitgrain essential oil is non-irritant, it is advised that you use it with a carrier oil like jojoba or olive oils before applying it directly on your skin. Also, you must consult an aromatherapy specialist before using it for the treatment of various afflictions.