Aging is the natural process of degeneration of the body. It encompasses physiological and physical changes over a period of time. The physiological aspect is marked by the reduced functionality of various biological systems of the body. While aging in itself cannot be stopped or prevented as such, physiological aging can be controlled by means of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
With regard to the physical aspect of aging, it is characterized by wrinkles, dark spots and patches on skin, weakness in muscles and bones, reduced body movement, etc. Similar to physiological aging, physical aging also cannot be cured or treated; however, the appearance of its signs can be delayed.
Essential Oils To Prevent aging of Skin
In this regard, aromatherapy can be used to prevent aging skin. Some of the essential oils that can be used to cure or delay the symptoms of aging are as follows.
- Cranberry essential oil is one of the most effective against aging. It is a rich source of anti-oxidants, which serve to slow down the process of gradual degeneration of the skin and hence delay the formation of wrinkles and patches.
- Another essential oil that be used to prevent or treat wrinkles is rose essential oil. It works by filling the crevices in skin that are caused by the wrinkles, resulting in smoother looking skin.
- Lavender essential oil can also be used to inhibit the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and patches.
- Patchouli essential oil is also an extremely effective anti-aging agent. It is most widely used to prevent wrinkles.
- Lemon essential oil causes the regeneration of skin cells, which compensates for the loss of cells resulting from the degeneration process, thereby preventing aging.
- Tea tree essential oil helps to eliminate the microorganisms that accumulate on the skin. Often, it is these microorganisms in the pores of the skin that act as catalyst when it comes to skin aging.
- Germanium essential oil is effective against wrinkles, patches and dark spots.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is considered to be highly beneficial in treating wrinkles.
- Some of the other essential oils for aging skin treatment are lemongrass, juniper, mandarin, tangerine, sweet basil and neroli.
You can also use a blend of these essential oils to treat aging skin. However, keep in mind that you must dilute these essential oils before you apply them to your face and body. Essential oils are highly concentrated, and if used without dilution, they can have adverse effects such as skin irritation and rashes. Further, it is important that you consult an aromatherapy specialist in order to acquire a better understanding about the methods, proportions, and combinations in which these oils can be used.