Gout is a condition that affects the bones and joints, and it is regarded as a form of arthritis. It results in swelling and stiffness in the joints. It is a painful condition that can cause much discomfort to the patient. People in the late thirties or above are more susceptible to gout. Further, overweight people and certain food habits can also cause this condition. Gout occurs if you have high levels of uric acid in the blood stream. Usually, anti-inflammatory drugs, with analgesic formulations, are used for the treatment of gout. However, the continuous use of such drugs can result in many side effects and complications.
As we know, prevention is better than cure. Here are some preventive measures or home remedies to keep gout at bay.
- If you have a family history of gout, you should go for a regular check-up of the uric acid levels in your body, and strictly follow the dietary plan as suggested by your doctor. You will be asked to restrict certain food products that may lead to an increase in the uric acid, like organ meats, foods containing yeast, and bread.
- Drink a lot of water during the day even if you do not feel thirsty. You should drink small quantities of water at regular intervals in such a way that it amounts to at least half of your body weight. More water intake flushes out the surplus quantity of uric acid through urination.
- Never restrict yourself when you feel the urge for urination. The more you delay the urination, the more uric acid concentration will build up, and ultimately it will go to your blood stream.
Essential Oils For Gout Natural Cure
If you happen to suffer from this painful ailment, you can opt for aromatherapy for relieving gout pain. You can try any of the following recipes for preparing aromatherapy mixtures at home:
- Mix five to six drops of juniper or lavender essential oil in about 25 ml of olive oil and gently massage the affected joints. Do this four times a day to relieve the pain and alleviate symptoms.
- Take about 50 ml of vinegar and boil it with some rose petals. Cool it and massage the joints with this mixture.
As it happens with any alternative treatment, some people get relief from it whereas some do not. Before using any combination of aromatherapy oils, you must consult a qualified and experienced aroma therapist. Also, do not stop taking medicines without consulting your physician.