The apricot fruit is rich in vitamins and is used to prepare apricot kernel oil. This is a gentle natural oil that is commonly used in baby products due to its mildness. The oil is cold-pressed from the dried seed or kernel of the apricot fruit. It has a light color and a pleasant sweet smelling fragrance. Apricot kernel oil is often used in the production of lotions, balms, creams, and other cosmetics.
Apricot Kernel Oil For Skin And Hair Care
- The specialty of apricot kernel oil is that it is able to seep into the skin without causing oiliness. It is well known for containing a high amount of vitamin E. It is used to soften the skin and is also commonly used as a massage oil as well. It is used in combination with a carrier oil for aromatherapy solutions.
- The apricot kernel contains a good amount of essential fatty acids such as linoleic acid and oleic acid, and is rich in vitamin A. Due to the ease with which it penetrates the skin; it is effectively used to treat dryness and other skin irritations.
- It also serves as a beneficial moisturizer and can be used on the face and hands.
- Dry, sensitive skin that suffers from premature aging requires vitamin A and vitamin C. Apricot kernel oil helps to maintain the elasticity of such skin and helps to make it supple.
- Apricot kernels may even be crushed and used to prepare a beneficial facial mask to improve health and appearance of the skin.
- Apricot kernel oil may also be used in the treatment of asthma and coughs as well.
Skin conditions such as dermatitis and eczema may be relieved through application of this oil.
- It also works effectively to alleviate inflammation and soothe the skin when combined with an equal part of St. Johnís Wort oil.
- An effective facial mask can be prepared using a couple of drops each of rose, neroli and frankincense oils, six teaspoons of apricot kernel oil and one teaspoon of honey and ground almonds.
- Adding apricot kernel oil to tea tree, lavender and geranium essential oils also helps in the treatment of acne.
- Apricot kernel oil is also serves as a beneficial treatment for the hair. Used as a hot oil treatment, it helps to promote radiant and healthy hair when massaged into the scalp.
- The oil also has dietary benefits and can be used as a dressing for salads due to its high content of essential fatty acids.
- Medicinally, the oil may be used in the treatment of bronchitis, and also works as a laxative.