Cinnamon essential oil is obtained from cinnamon tree barks. The extraction is done by using a distillation process. Cinnamon oil has a very strong and pleasant aroma. For ages, it has been known for its medicinal properties, including antibacterial, antifungal, analgesic, and anti-clotting properties.
Medicinal Uses of Cinnamon Essential Oil
A few of the many uses of the cinnamon essential oil are as follows.
- Cinnamon essential oil is extremely useful in combating anxiety. Whenever you feel anxious, simply smell the cinnamon oil for a few seconds. It has a very soothing effect, and it also improves brain functioning. Smelling this oil can also cure nausea and help in preventing vomiting.
- Pour a few drops of cinnamon oil in a glass of warm water and use it as a mouth wash. You will feel very fresh. This will also help to prevent tooth decay as the bacteria present in the mouth are killed by the cinnamon oil. It can also be used for gargling if you are suffering from a sore throat.
- Cinnamon oil has excellent analgesic properties. Therefore, it finds usage as a pain reliever. For pain in the joints, or even arthritis, pour a few drops of cinnamon oil on a warm compress and press against the affected area. Repeat the process three to four times. You will get immediate relief from the pain and inflammation.
- Cinnamon oil can also be used in treatment of cramps. Make a warm compress and add a few drops of cinnamon oil and apply on the cramped area for a few minutes. You can use this process even for treatment of abdominal cramps that occur during the menstrual period.
- Since cinnamon oil possesses a healing ability, you can use it on minor cuts and bruises. Before applying the cinnamon essential oil you must mix it with some carrier oil in order to dilute it.
- A few drops of cinnamon oil can be added in the food while cooking. It helps in controlling blood pressure and diabetes. It is also helpful for the heart patients who suffer from coronary artery disease.
- Cinnamon oil is also a very good mosquito repellent. Therefore, it is used in manufacturing mosquito repellents.
- By blending with other carrier oils, cinnamon oil is used in making several aromatherapy oils. It helps in improving blood circulation when used for the purpose of massages.
- Diluted cinnamon oil can be applied on pimples. Regular use will eliminate the pimple within ten days.
Like all other essential oils, cinnamon oil must also be diluted before use.