Constipation is a symptom of various diseases rather than a disease itself. It is characterized by irregular bowel movements and difficulty in passing stool. It is caused primarily due to an irregular diet that is low in fiber content. Other causes of constipation can be an infection of the gastro-intestinal tract, other conditions like a stroke, and changed physiological conditions like ageing and pregnancy.
Constipation leads to delayed and painful defecation, the stool being hard and dry. It also causes fullness of the bowel because they don’t get emptied regularly. There are various ways to treat constipation, one of the most effective being the deployment of essential oils.
Essential Oils To Cure Constipation
Essential oils can be defined as highly concentrated and volatile plant extracts, which can be used externally or inhaled as infusion, in order to relieve various afflictions. The various essential oils that can be used to cure constipation are listed as follows:
- Black pepper oil is highly recommended to be used to relieve constipation. You can also blend pepper essential oil with fennel essential oil and a carrier oil and apply it around your navel. This will help cure constipation gradually.
- You are also recommended to use a blend of rosemary essential oil, basil essential oil, and marjoram essential oil, mixed with a carrier oil like olive oil or jojoba oil.
- Ginger essential oil is also proven to be effective in relieving constipation by stimulating the stomach for peristaltic movements for effective digestion and faster and regular bowel movement.
- The application of lemon essential oil also relieves constipation.
- Peppermint oil blended with other essential oils like rosemary and marjoram can also help relieve constipation.
- Cypress essential oil is also effective in relieving constipation by regulating the process of digestion.
You must always dilute these essential oils with a carrier oil and then apply it on and around your abdominal area.
Other than the usage of essential oils, there are many home remedies to treat constipation. Some of these include:
- You must consume a fiber rich diet, including foods like beet root, cabbage, and radish in your diet. You can consume these foods as salads.
- You must consume a lot of fruits as fruits are rich in fiber. In fact, it is a better idea to eat fruits than consume juices as juices are almost nil in fiber content.
- You must not consume fatty foods. Also, you must not consume canned foods and carbonated drinks.
- You should drink lemon juice in warm water.
If the problem persists for long, you must consult your doctor.