Cedarwood essential oil is extracted from chipped pieces of wood of a cedarwood tree by the process of steam distillation. Botanically, cedarwood is known as juniperus virginiana. Cedarwood tree is native to North America, and it is found in cold places that are at a high altitude. Cedarwood oil is commonly known as cedar essential oil. Cedarwood oil is somewhat viscous and pale yellow in color. It has a pleasant woody fragrance, and to some extent the odor is similar to that of a pencil. Its aroma also has a similar tone as sandalwood. The medicinal properties of cedarwood oil have been known for centuries and are often included in traditional and folk medicine. Some of the proven health benefits of cedarwood oil are as follows.
- Cedarwood oil helps to cure skin related problems such as acne and pimples. It is therefore used in making medicinal creams for the treatment of pimples. If you experience such problems, apply the diluted cedarwood oil to the affected area before going to bed. Doing this for a week will help eliminate acne and pimples from your face.
- Cedarwood oil is also very beneficial for the treatment of dandruff. Therefore, it finds use in several dandruff shampoo formulations. For curing dandruff, simply pour a few drops of this oil in your bath water. Within a few days you will find that your dandruff is gone.
- Cedarwood oil is also an excellent expectorant owing to its decongestant properties. If you experience the problem of cough and congestion, pour two drops of cedar oil in a mug of boiling water and inhale the vapors before going to sleep. Doing this vapor therapy with cedar oil for four to five days will completely clear your congestion. The oil is also very beneficial for the treatment of chronic bronchitis and asthma.
- Cedar oil is an excellent sedative. It is widely used in aroma therapy for treating problems related to stress and anxiety and for treating insomnia. The oil has a great calming and soothing effect on your nervous system, and it can be used in a diffuser.
- Cedar oil is also a great astringent. If you experience any dental problems such as toothache and bleeding gums, gargling with two drops of cedar oil in one glass of water twice a day will give you considerable relief from such problems.
- Cedarwood oil is also used as a general health tonic as it has the excellent ability to keep your digestive system healthy.
These are some of the benefits of cedarwood oil. However, before using it, you must consult your doctor or a professional aroma therapist.