Cypress essential oil is extracted by steam distillation from the twigs of the evergreen Cypress tree. The oil yield is of the order of around 1.5% only. Cypress oil is colorless to pale yellow in color with a mild spicy and masculine odor.
Cypress essential oil has been used since ancient times for various therapeutic purposes. It has excellent antiseptic, astringent, diuretic, hepatic, and sedative properties.
Uses Of Cypress Essential Oil
- Known for its sedative and soothing effect, cypress oil is used for calming and relieving irritation, anger, and stress. It calms stressed brain nerves and provides immediate anxiety relief. For this, vapor therapy should be used, in which a few drops of cypress essential oil are dropped in boiling water and the vapors are inhaled. This is also very beneficial for whooping cough, bronchitis, asthma, and other lungs disorders.
- Cypress oil has great astringent properties and strengthens your teeth and gums. It is also used for preventing hair fall. Regular massage with cypress oil blended with some good carrier oil like jojoba oil or olive oil will also ensure that your skin and muscles stay taut and firm.
- Cypress oil is a wonderful anti spasmodic agent. If you happen to suffer from muscular spasms or spasms of the respiratory system, you can massage the affected area with a cypress oil blend for immediate relief.
- Cypress oil possesses great diuretic properties as well. Therefore, it helps in increasing the frequency of urination, which results in the removal of toxins from the body. It is especially useful in reducing blood pressure and cleansing the kidneys. Increased urination also helps in removing excess fat from the body.
- Since cypress oil has good hepatic properties, it is very beneficial for liver. It maintains proper discharge of bile from the liver and also protects it from infections.
- Cypress oil also has good sudorific properties. A sudorific substance is one that causes sweating. It, therefore, removes toxins, excessive salts, and water from the body through sweating and makes you feel lighter and fresh. It cleans up your skin and protects you from acne and other skin disorders.
- Cypress oil is also known for being a very good vasoconstrictor. It is, therefore, used for the treatment of excessive bleeding, nose bleeds, and heavy menstruation.
Like any other essential oil, you must always consult your physician or an aromatherapy specialist before using the Cypress oil.