Oregano is a wood like herb native to the Mediterranean. Botanically, oregano is referred to as oreganum vulgare. Oregano essential oil is extracted from the fresh leaves of the oregano plant through the process of steam distillation. The oil is pale yellow in color with a thin consistency, and it has a very sweet and soothing aroma. Oregano essential oil possesses excellent medicinal properties, and for that reason, it is widely used by many aroma therapists for the treatment of various common and chronic ailments. The main constituents of oregano oil are thymol and carvacrol, in addition to a number of other organic compounds that contribute to its medicinal properties. In fact, oregano oil uses have been known to mankind since ancient times. Some of the most common and popular oregano oil uses are as follows.
- Oregano essential oil has excellent antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is widely used by aroma therapists for curing various skin diseases. If you have patches on your skin due to some fungal infection, dilute a few drops of this oil with olive oil and apply on the affected area of the skin twice a day. Within a very short time, you will be able to treat the fungal infection. It is for this reason that oregano oil finds wide use in the manufacture of several skin care ointments.
- Oregano oil is a great astringent too. If you experience bleeding gums and any other dental problems, gently rub diluted oregano oil on your gums two times a day. It should be able to cure your all dental problems within a week. This is one of the best oregano oil uses. However, do keep in mind, that some problems need medical attention, so always visit a dentist first.
- For its soothing and anti-depressant properties, this oil is greatly used for curing mental stress and anxiety. It has an excellent calming effect on your nervous system. Many aroma therapists use it for the treatment of insomnia and other sleep related disorders. This is perhaps of the best oregano oil benefits.
- Oregano oil is also known for its wonderful decongestant properties. If you happen to suffer from nasal and chest congestion or sinusitis, add a few drops of this oil in boiling hot water and inhale its vapors. Doing this before going to bed will help alleviate the symptoms within a couple of days.
- Oregano oil is also a well-known antioxidant. Regular massage with diluted oregano oil will keep your skin healthy and youthful for a longer time.
- Despite all these wonderful oregano oil uses, you must consult your health care provider before using it so as to avoid any unnecessary allergic reactions and contradictions.