June 24th, 2011
Extracted from the fruit rinds of lime or Citrus aurantifolia through the process of distillation or cold pressing, lime essential oil is pale yellow in color and is a non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-sensitizing oil. It is known for its immense therapeutic benefits. Some of the lime essential oil benefits are listed as under:
- Lemon essential oil is antiseptic in action. It can be applied on wounds to prevent septic infections, thereby assisting in the healing of wounds.
- One of lime essential oilís properties is its ability to prevent and treat viral diseases, attributed to its antiviral nature.
- Lemon essential oil is a potent astringent, and it helps tighten the skin pores and keep the skin clean and radiant. On account of this property, lemon essential oil helps relieve toothache and other gum problems.
- Lemon essential oil is also a wonderful aperitif, which means it may be used as an appetizer. You may just inhale the smell of it for a good and wholesome appetite.
- Lemon essential oil is also a bactericide,helping in the prevention and treatment of bacterial diseases like diarrhea, food poisoning, cholera, and typhoid. Also, lemon essential oil helps treat bacterial infections of the colon, intestine, and urinary tract.
- Lemon essential oil may also be used as a febrifuge to treat fever and its causes, including infections and allergy.
- Lemon essential oil is a potent hemostatic,thereby helping in the prevention of blood loss, either by speeding up the process of blood coagulation or constricting the blood vessels.
- Lemon essential oil can also be used to relieve the state of skeletal system, including diseases like arthritis.
- Lemon essential oil has a pleasant aroma, and it can be used an anti-depressant. It helps inculcate a feeling the well-being and relieves stress, tension, anxiety, and anger.
- Lemon essential oil is a tonic for the body and mind. It helps strengthens the immune system of the body, thereby preventing various conditions and restoring an overall healthy state of the body.
- Lemon essential oil also supplies anti-oxidants to your skin. It helps relieve the signs of ageing like fine lines, dark spots, and wrinkles, giving a youthful appearance.
- On account of its anti-oxidant properties, lemon essential oil also serves as an anti-cancer agent, preventing the accumulation of free radicals in the body, which might initiate chain reactions, leading to cancer.
- Lemon essential oil may be used to tone the muscles.
You should, however, consult an aromatherapy specialist for advice on the safe usage of this essential oil and its benefits.
June 24th, 2011
Lilac is a small tree or a shrub, native to Eastern Europe. Today, it is grown in several parts of North America as well. Botanically, this shrub is also called as Syringa Vulgaris. Lilac flowers are light purple in color and have an enchanting aroma. The small beautiful flowers bloom in bunches at the time of spring.
The fresh flowers of this small tree are put through the process of steam distillation to obtain the oil from them. The yield of lilac oil happens to be very small, which makes it very scarce and expensive. Although lilac oil is highly considered for its unique medicinal properties, it is still one of the most unknown of the aromatherapy essential oils. However, nowadays, some aroma therapists use this wonderful oil in treating several common and chronic sicknesses and disorders. Lilac aromatherapy is the name given to the treatment sessions conducted using this oil.
This oil has certain health benefits which are pointed out as under.
- Lilac oil soothes the mind and nerves. Hence it is largely used in the healing of mental strain, anxiety, emotional stress, and depression. Its enchanting fragrance makes you feel full of life and energy and drives away worries and mental tension. In cases of those suffering from anxiety and depression, add some drops of this oil in your bathing water and soak in the tub for about half an hour. You could also inhale the vapors of lilac oil by adding a few drops in a mug of boiling water.
- Lilac essential oil helps in reducing high fever. The oil is also helpful treating fever caused by malaria.
- In addition to having mild analgesic and antiseptic properties, lilac essential oil possesses healing properties as well. This is therefore very useful for treating minor cuts and bruises. Its use does not leave behind scars that might have occurred due to any injury.
- Lilac essential oil has its benefits in eradicating intestinal worms and is therefore greatly used for this purpose.
- Lilac oil also has healing effects on the kidneys. Therefore, most aroma therapists would recommend this oil in the treatment of kidney-related ailments.
- Lilac essential oil possesses exquisite aphrodisiac properties. It has the great ability to make you recover from libido loss.
While the side effects of the oil are not really known, the best this would be to always make sure with a professional aroma therapist or a doctor before you could use it, particularly given the limited information on the oil.
June 24th, 2011
Violet belongs to Violaceae family of plants. Botanically, this plant is referred to as Viola Odorata. The name violet comes from its beautiful violet-colored small flowers.† Violets are native to European countries such as England, Italy, France and Greece. Since ancient times, violet has been known for its great therapeutic properties, and violet essence has been used for treating several ailments by the local countryside natives. Violet essential oil is extracted by means of the solvent process, from its leaves. Violet oil has a sweet and refreshing, mild floral fragrance.The medicinal properties of violet oil are attributed to its organic constituents such as hexyl alcohol, ionone, nonadienal, benzyl alcohol, and parmone. Therapeutic and other uses of violet oil are as mentioned below.
- Violet oil has a great calming effect on the nervous system. Therefore, it is largely used for treating anxiety, depression, mental strain, and sleep related problems such as sleeplessness and insomnia.
- Regular massages with diluted violet oil greatly help in improving poor blood circulation and removing harmful toxins from the body.
- Owing to its mild analgesic and antispasmodic properties, violet oil acts as a very good pain reliever. If you happen to suffer from muscular sprain or joints pain, a massage with diluted violet essential oil on and around the affected areas can provide relief from the pain. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of this oil in your bath tub with warm water filled in it. Soak in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes. This will not only give you relief from pain but also make you feel fresh and agile.
- Since it is an effective decongestant, violet essential oil is very beneficial for treating disorders and ailments of the respiratory system such as sore throats, cough, and chest congestion. For the treatment of such problems, vapor therapy is used. If you are facing any such problem of respiratory system, add 2 to 3 drops of violet essential oil in a mug of boiling hot water and inhale the vapors with your head covered with a towel. Do this just before going to bed in the night. It will clear out the mucus deposits in your throat and chest.
Although violet fragrance oil is non-irritant and nontoxic in nature, it may cause skin irritation in some cases. Therefore, it is advisable to first consult your health care provider or an aroma therapist before using this oil.