Pine is a tall evergreen tree native to Austria. Botanically, it is termed as Pinus Sylvestris. It is presently cultivated in many parts of the world, largely for its excellent wood, tar and essential oil. The pine tree has yellowish orange colored flowers, brownish cones, and bluish green needles. Pine needle essential oil is extracted through the process of steam distillation of the pine needles. In Japan, the oil is obtained from red pine, and is called Japanese red pine needle oil. Pine needle oil is known for is excellent therapeutic properties. It is a clear oil, with a mild, sweet and soothing fragrance. It is also referred to as Scotch pine needles essential oil. Pine needle oil is widely used in aromatherapy for curing several ailments and diseases. Some of the more common pine needle oil benefits are as follows.
- Pine needle oil has antiseptic, antipyretic and analgesic properties. It has the ability to heal the wounds very quickly. If you happen to suffer any minor injury, apply some diluted pine needle oil on the cuts and bruises, before dressing the wound. The oil helps in speeding up the healing process and preventing the wound from getting infected.
- For its antispasmodic properties, the oil is very popular among aroma therapists for the treatment of muscular spasms. It is also very beneficial for giving you relief from rheumatic and gout pains.
- Pine needle oil is a very good expectorant and decongestant as well. If you suffer from coughs, colds, sinusitis, and nasal and chest congestion, add a few drops of this oil combined with some drops of eucalyptus essential oil to boiling hot water and inhale the vapors. It will immediately clear your nose, throat and chest congestion. Not only does it cure such ailments but it also helps to strengthen the respiratory system.
- Owing to its calming and soothing effect on the nerves, pine needle oil is also widely used for the treatment of emotional stress, nervous breakdowns, and anxiety. Pine oil is also very useful for curing sleep disorders and insomnia. It also helps in keeping your blood pressure under control.
- Pine needle oil is also an excellent repellent. To drive away the insects from your living home, simply keep a bottle of pine oil open on a shelf, and you will find your home free from insects. Also, its sweet fragrance would ensure that your rooms always have a pleasant smell.
- Although pine needle oil is considered to be very safe, you must always get in touch with your health care provider before using it.