Nothing beats a relaxing head massage, especially when you’ve got a pounding headache. Unfortunately, sometimes headaches can be so severe that even a good massage doesn’t help to alleviate the pain. This is where aromatherapy can help.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses the extracts from different plants to promote healing. Although the name suggests that aromatherapy works on smell alone, the truth is that most of the ingredients used in aromatherapy also have some intrinsic medicinal value. So, in effect, a cure is achieved by combining the medicinal property of these aromatic compounds along with the soothing or enlivening power of their smell.
The plant extracts that are used in aromatherapy are known as essential oils. These essential oils are extracted from various parts of the plant using different methods such as steam distillation and cold pressing. These essential oils are very potent in nature and must never be applied directly on the skin. However, when combined with a carrier oil, such as almond oil or jojoba oil, they may be massaged onto the skin. This form of massage therapy is known as aromatherapy massage and is particularly useful in getting rid of nasty lingering headaches that just refuse to go away.
Essential oils for Headache Treatment
The aromatherapy essential oils that can be used to provide relief from a headache are:
- Peppermint essential oil: Peppermint is famous all over the world for its cooling effect and this property of peppermint essential oil can also be used to cool the head and alleviate headaches.
- Lavender essential oil: It has a very soothing smell and aids in inducing a deep sense of relaxation. This is very useful in relieving stress induced headaches.
- Sandalwood essential oil: It is well known for its medicinal properties. In addition to being a very good essential oil for curing depression and anxiety, it is also used in treating headaches caused by stress and anxiety.
- Rosemary essential oil: It has a fresh smell and is very useful in alleviating muscular tension by increasing the circulation of blood. It can be used in a soothing aromatherapy massage to cure stiff and tense muscles and headaches.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Another, Fresh smelling oil, it is used in a number of massage lotions and ointments. This is due to its peculiar property, whereby it cools the surface of the skin while simultaneously warming the muscles below. This amazing property of this oil can be used to good effect in curing headaches and reducing muscular tension.