Hypertension is an increase in the blood pressure above the normal levels. Given today’s fast-paced lifestyle and immense work stress, hypertension has become a very common condition, affecting almost everyone. Usually, middle-aged people are more prone to hypertension. However, instances of young people being affected by hypertension are also not uncommon. It is considered to be a silent killer as there are no visible symptoms. You may feel frequent headaches, giddiness, and restlessness. Blood pressure is elevated due to narrowing of the arteries that carry the blood to your heart. There are a number of causes that can lead to this condition. Some of the most common causes of hypertension are work stress, improper food habits, smoking, and over drinking.
One of the effective ways to treat of hypertension is acupressure, which is also the most popular treatment for hypertension. In this technique, pressure is gently applied at certain points on your body. Usually, these points are on your feet, knee, neck, and forehead. Another form of acupressure in acupuncture. In this, specially designed fine needles, called the “acupuncture needles,” are used for applying the pressure. Like any other alternative treatment methods, acupressure treatment may give relief to some people, but not to all. Also, acupressure points are really sensitive, and if pressed in an incorrect manner, may cause more harm than good. As such, you are recommended to consult an acupressure specialist before using acupressure techniques to cure hypertension.
In addition to acupressure and the usual allopathic treatments, there are some alternative treatment techniques like home remedies to treat hypertension. Some of the effective home remedies to relieve the symptoms of hypertension are listed as follows:
- If you have a family history of hypertension, you should get your blood pressure checked regularly after the age of thirty, and strictly follow the advice of your doctor.
- Do not take foods containing high quantity of fats like red meat and fried foods. You may eat boiled eggs; however, you should consume only egg white and should avoid eating yolk.
- You must not eat junk foods and packaged foods. These foods are rich in salt that makes you susceptible to hypertension and other cardio-vascular ailments.
- If you are a smoker, quit immediately.
- Avoid getting stressed and ease workloads.
- Avoid getting irritated over trivial things like getting stuck in traffic.
- You should start doing some yoga exercises, after consulting a good yoga instructor. Meditation is excellent for relieving stress and relaxing the body.