May chang, botanically known as Litsea cubeba, is an evergreen shrub and is native to China and various Southeast Asian countries. May chang oil is extracted from the fruit of the plant through the process of steam distillation. May chang essential oil has a sweet and fruity fragrance, resembling that of citrus oils. It blends well with a variety of essential oils, including that of lavender, neroli, ylang ylang, rosemary, cypress, geranium, and rosewood, among others. May chang is a therapeutic essential oil and benefits the body in the following ways:
- May chang or litsea essential oil is antiseptic in action and keeps septic infections at bay. It helps prevent microbial infections and also boosts the immunity. May chang essential oil also prevents fungal infections such as ringworms, etc.
- On account of its pleasant aroma, May chang oil is also widely used as an anti-depressant. It elevates the mood and helps relieve stress and tension.
- May chang oil is also anti-inflammatory in action. It prevents and cures inflammatory diseases like arthritis and respiratory diseases like bronchitis, asthma and others.
- May chang essential oil has astringent-like properties, and as such, it helps close the skin pores, preventing skin conditions. It also helps cure skin blemishes and tightens the skin, retaining a youthful appearance. It also relieves excessive oil in the skin by maintaining the oil balance, and prevents pimples, acne and black or whiteheads. May chang oil also helps cure dermatitis and psoriasis.
- May chang oil helps prevent coronary diseases, including high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, and heart attacks.
- In lactating mothers, May chang essential oil helps in milk secretion.
- May chang oil is also a potent carminative and helps prevent the formation of gas in the stomach, thereby preventing flatulence, constipation and other digestive complaints.
- It is a powerful stimulant and thereby assists in normal functioning of all the physiological systems of the body.
Other than the above mentioned therapeutic benefits, you may use May chang oil as a flavoring agent in culinary preparations and salad dressings. It may also be used as an insect repellant. As such, May chang oil has numerous health benefits. However, you must not use it without dilution for topical application. Essential oils must be diluted with a carrier oils like coconut, olive or jojoba oils. You should also consult an aromatherapy specialist for expert advice on the usage and functionality of May chang essential oil.