Mouth ulcers or oral ulcers can be referred to as open sores in the mouth which are caused by the breaking of the mucous membrane or epithelium in the mouth. The prime mouth ulcer causes include physical abrasions in mouth, chemical injuries including those caused by an intake of acidic fruits, smoking, microbial infections, consuming strong medicines, and the presence of cancerous cells in the body.
Mouth ulcers cause pain and inflammation in the mouth making it difficult to chew and swallow food. Oral ulcers can also cause excessive salivation, bad breath, mild fever, and bleeding.
Some of the home remedies for mouth ulcer are listed as follows:
- You are advised to chew a few basil leaves with water to cure mouth ulcers. This will help relieve mouth ulcers.
- Certain minerals including sulfur are very effective in curing mouth ulcers. You must eat a lot of raw onions, a rich source of sulfur, for mouth ulcers relief.
- You can prepare a mixture of honey and coconut milk and use it to massage your ulcers.
- You can gargle with fresh coconut water at least three times a day to relieve mouth ulcers.
- You must avoid eating spicy foods.
Aromatherapy Oils To Treat Mouth Ulcer
Some of the essential oils that can be used to cure oral ulcers are:
- Peppermint essential oil is known for its cooling effect and anti-inflammatory properties. You can apply a drop of peppermint oil on mouth ulcers to relieve pain and irritation. It also prevents bad breath, one of the consequences of mouth ulcers.
- Tea tree oil can also help relieve and cure ulcers, especially when the ulcers are a result of bacterial and viral infections. Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-microbial agent.
- You can also use lemon essential oil to cure mouth ulcers. Lemon essential oil is rich in Vitamin C, which helps relieve ulcers.
- Other essential oils than can be used as aromatherapy constituents to cure oral ulcers include germanium essential oil and myrrh essential oil.
You can mix any of these essential oils in water and use it as a mouth ulcer remedy. You can also use these essential oils in water to gargle. Do keep in mind that the mouth is a sensitive part of the body and it is always a good idea to consult an aromatherapy specialist before you use essential oils to cure oral ulcers.